February 10, 2017

Building Fire with Fatalities and Injuries ¬– 1742 Paris Ave. SE

At 5:55 p.m. yesterday, Feb. 9, the Grand Rapids Fire Department responded to the 1700 block of Paris to a report of a structure fire. Arriving crews found a one-story single family wood frame home with a 15-year-old female and 10-year-old male on the front porch. The female suffered second-degree burns to her hands and face and the 10-year-old male appeared unharmed in his wheelchair. Crews observed moderate smoke conditions in the residence and found an approximately 67-year-old female in the front room conscious and alert. She was assisted to the front porch. There also was an adult male, unknown age, in the home who was assisted from the residence. It is believed that all four occupants were residents of this home. 

At 5:55 p.m. yesterday, Feb. 9, the Grand Rapids Fire Department responded to the 1700 block of Paris to a report of a structure fire. Arriving crews found a one-story single family wood frame home with a 15-year-old female and 10-year-old male on the front porch. The female suffered second-degree burns to her hands and face and the 10-year-old male appeared unharmed in his wheelchair. Crews observed moderate smoke conditions in the residence and found an approximately 67-year-old female in the front room conscious and alert. She was assisted to the front porch. There also was an adult male, unknown age, in the home who was assisted from the residence. It is believed that all four occupants were residents of this home.

While the 67-year-old female was on the porch she suffered a sudden cardiac arrest, and was immediately assisted by on scene firefighters. She was transported to Butterworth Hospital by Ambulance and did not survive. The 15-year-old female was treated at the scene and transported to DeVos Children's Hospital. The 10-year-old male was also transported for observation.

It appears that the fire started in the kitchen and was caused by heated oil splashed out and igniting the area of the stovetop and extending to other objects in the area. There was one working smoke detector in the residence located in the kitchen. Fire fighters contained the fire to the kitchen with minor damage to the kitchen and minor smoke damage to the home.

This is the third fatality at a structure fire in the city in the last 2 ½ months and all three homes lacked adequate or working smoke detectors. The citizens of Grand Rapids are reminded that the Grand Rapids Fire Department has a no-cost residential safety program for owner occupied homes where we will install free smoke detectors and perform a home safety assessment.

"There is no reason that given our free Residential Safety Program any home in Grand Rapids should go unprotected," said Fire Chief John Lehman. “Simply call 311 to schedule your free assessment and installation.”